Rocket Hatch and HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology are co-sponsoring this educational event by partner InCrowd Capital to discuss the critical topic of startup funding and investing. The goal is to cover both sides of the capitalization process with one session in the morning for entrepreneurs and another session in the afternoon for investors.
The presenter for this event will be Phil Shmerling, CEO of the angel investment group InCrowd Capital. With information based on experience as well as data from third party research, you will walk away confident in your ability to invest in early-stage companies or confident in your ability to meet and negotiate with even the most experienced of investors.
Registration is $45 until February 10th . The cost will be $55 after that date. This event is free to InCrowd Capital members. Additionally you can join Phil for Lunch for just $15.
Seating is limited so please RSVP and guarantee your spot.
7:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
As an early-stage entrepreneur, raising capital can be the difference between the success or failure of your company. But many entrepreneurs go into the fundraising environment scarcely prepared to negotiate with experienced investors, or even knowing what type of startup capital is right for them. The "How to Raise Early-stage Capital" class is intended for entrepreneurs who want to learn more about how they can raise early-stage capital to help start or grow their businesses. Topics include:
- What are the different ways I can raise capital to start or grow my company?
- How to raise money using crowdfunding, bootstrapping, angel investors and venture capitalists.
- What method is best for my company?
- How do I engage with investors?
- What do investors look for when making investment decisions?
- How do I value my startup/how will investors value my startup?
- What are the deal terms investors use, and what do they mean?
- How can I negotiate with investors?
- What happens after I get an investment?
- How do I get started with my fundraise/what funds or angel groups are out there?
Lunch with Phil
11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
An informal lunch gathering for entrepreneurs to meet with Phil Shmerling and get the opportunity to ask questions.
1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Whether you are an experienced startup investor or you are curious about what it takes to invest in early-stage companies, the "Becoming a Startup Investor" class is designed to make anyone feel comfortable getting started as a startup or angel investor. In this event we will discuss topics relevant to beginner and advanced investors with the goal of taking the intimidation and confusion out of startup investing. Some of the topics that we will be discussing are:
- Why should I become a startup/angel investor?
- Where does startup/angel investing fit in to the investment world?
- What are the strategies successful angel investors use?
- What are the best ways to structure a startup/angel investment portfolio?
- How do you do due diligence on companies?
- How do you structure deal terms?
- How do you value a startup?
- What happens after you invest in a startup?
- Where can you get started as an investor in your community?